Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Making my own N-gauge turnouts

Well, I took a big swing at turnout-building over the weekend, using my new Fast Tracks jig. It's for building #7 turnouts with code 55 rail, which, as I discussed in my last entry, is the standard for my layout.

Let me tell ya, it isn't easy!

Or let me qualify that. It isn't easy at first. It involves some skills and techniques that you may not have yet. Your first few efforts will be where you make your mistakes.

But that being said, even my first, mistake-ridden turnout is still going to be usable. The jig is excellent, and by the time you get to the soldering stage it gets really fun. The hardest thing for me was learning how to use the point-forming tool; I took a few unadvisable strokes with my file and shredded the end of one rail, and it can be hard to know how much to take off.

The experience I gained from just one turnout was amazing, though. Suddenly I knew what had to be what length, knew the trick for filing the gaps in the PC board ties, had a handle on how to get the frog point soldered together without having three hands.

My total output for about 5 hours of work was two completed turnouts, but that's not all. I also started making "kits" to assemble more, getting the ties trimmed, frog points made, stock rails and guardrails cut, etc. to assemble five more turnouts. So it should take only a couple more hours till I have seven. I think this is a good approach. Each of "kits" I am putting into a small manila envelope, and doing it this way really lets you master each of the turnout-building tasks.

The instructional videos posted on the Fast Tracks site are very helpful, as is the user's guide, but remember they're all in HO. N poses some unique challenges.

There's one more matter to discuss here: Cost. In the long run, the Fast Tracks jig will save you money. No question. If you're willing and able to do the work, you'll get unlimited, high-quality units that get cheaper with every one you build. You could even sell them on eBay, they're so high-quality.

But the materials cost money. I have already ordered my own sheet of 1/32 PC board from an electronics supplier, and plan to rig up a little homemade table saw with my Dremel (armed with a cutoff wheel) to cut it into strips for lower-cost ties. A 12" by 12" sheet of the copper-clad board costs $15, and should make LOTS of ties. The rail I'll probably order from somewhere closer by, to save on the shipping from Canada.

No comments: